Service operations support engineer
Cellulant – Nairobi, Kenya
Cellulant is the leading one-stop digital payments company in Africa operating in 10 markets i.e. Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Mozambique; providing the glue connecting everyone to everything, every day. To do this we are looking for qualified, passionate, dynamic, and vibrant people to drive our strategy and agenda.
- Oversee and perform manual & Automated testing on all applications from the earliest opportunity and with precision before any application is deployed to production.
- Communicating all test issues effectively to the QA manager. Managing the daily workload of a Tester and giving direction on projects
- Participate in the test automation tool selection and adoption process; Develop and execute automated test suites using COTS and custom tools; Integrate test suites into the test management system and custom test harnesses.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce & manage level test plans, estimate effort and resource test plans
- Monitor changes to scope during the development cycle and re-evaluate plans and resource accordingly
- Manage expectations of when testing activities will be complete mitigating risks to key milestones
- Liaise with the relevant departments to ensure key infrastructure (environments, interfaces & access) is set-up to enable all required testing activities
- Manage the UAT process by supporting clients to establish key scenarios to test their business processes to
- maximize benefit of the UAT process ensuring full acceptance and integration of the software solution
- Assign work to QA Engineers and manage successful completion of work to set deadlines
- Manage processes and procedures locally within the test team and with external teams across the SDLC
- to drive and implement improvements to optimize efficiency and first-time pass rate
- Measure, develop and optimize quality of team outputs and performance.
- Build test scripts from various sources including functional specifications, technical specifications and sessions with developers and designers
- Review requirements, specifications, user documentation, help files, and other project documentation to assure the quality of the products and tests to be developed; i.e., perform manual static testing.
- Select and develop appropriate test automation tools, applying the latest techniques in test
- automation; e.g., data-driven testing.
- Use risk-driven techniques to develop, maintain, and execute automated test suites for various Software Cafeteria products; i.e., perform automated dynamic testing.
- Execute automated tests and validate the results.
- Work with the Development team to capture and reuse automated Unit Test Cases, Test Stubs and Drivers, and other Development test objects.
- Work with the Development team to create and maintain an automated nightly build verification (“smoke”) test.
- Ensure proper version control and configuration management of all test objects developed and test environments used.
Purpose of the Job
- Provide 1st and 2nd level technical support to ensure efficient and effective solution operation.
- Responsible for solution monitoring, troubleshooting tasks and providing technical support in adherence to the established procedures.
- Be the primary point of contact for all SLA customers which involves continuously seeking solutions for current issues, proactively improving processes and tools while building people’s technical capacity to deliver on the team’s goals.
The role holder will be responsible for:
- Incident management: Fast and accurate detection and resolution of system and application issues to meet customer SLA.
- System and application maintenance in high-availability production environments.
- Accurate ticketing for all issues while ensuring timely and proper communication to all stakeholders at all times.
- Analyze recurring and intermittent system and application problems.
- Timely escalation and follow-through of support issues
- Solution monitoring to aid in faster issue detection and diagnosis.
- Knowledge management for the support team through the identification of knowledge gaps.
- Contributing towards training and forums for team Knowledge sharing.
Reporting and Peers:
- You will report to a Service Operations Manager.
- Peers – Service operations shift leads and Senior Support specialist / L2 Support engineers
Qualifications and Experience
- At least 2 years experience working within a busy IT Service desk environment.
- Proficiency in Linux, MySQL is mandatory.
- Working knowledge of databases, networks and security standards and application development is a clear advantage.
- Deep experience of common service desk and monitoring tools such as Nagios, Cacti, Newrelic, Zabbix or equivalent.
- Experience with automated systems, scripting, software development disciplines like python, php, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible.
- Ability to win in a highly collaborative environment.
- Working knowledge of Information Service Management industry standards such as ISO 20000, ITILv3/4
- BS in Computer Science or related industry/field or equivalent experience (IT, Electrical/Computer Engineering, Information Systems, telecommunications).
- Certification ITIL v3/4 will be an added advantage.
How you will be measured:
- Prompt detection of the support issues.
- Quick and accurate troubleshooting and diagnosis of issues.
- Timely ticket resolution and closure within SLA.
- Adequate relevant knowledge in delivering service.
- Accurate assignment and escalation of service issues
Attributes we are looking for:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Proficiency in a coding language
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
Full time permanent