Senior QA Engineer
Cellulant – Nairobi, Kenya
Cellulant is the leading one-stop digital payments company in Africa operating in 10 markets i.e. Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Mozambique; providing the glue connecting everyone to everything, every day. To do this we are looking for qualified, passionate, dynamic, and vibrant people to drive our strategy and agenda.
- Oversee and perform manual & Automated testing on all applications from the earliest opportunity and with precision before any application is deployed to production.
- Communicating all test issues effectively to the QA manager. Managing the daily workload of a Tester and giving direction on projects
- Participate in the test automation tool selection and adoption process; Develop and execute automated test suites using COTS and custom tools; Integrate test suites into the test management system and custom test harnesses.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce & manage level test plans, estimate effort and resource test plans
- Monitor changes to scope during the development cycle and re-evaluate plans and resource accordingly
- Manage expectations of when testing activities will be complete mitigating risks to key milestones
- Liaise with the relevant departments to ensure key infrastructure (environments, interfaces & access) is set-up to enable all required testing activities
- Manage the UAT process by supporting clients to establish key scenarios to test their business processes to
- maximize benefit of the UAT process ensuring full acceptance and integration of the software solution
- Assign work to QA Engineers and manage successful completion of work to set deadlines
- Manage processes and procedures locally within the test team and with external teams across the SDLC
- to drive and implement improvements to optimize efficiency and first-time pass rate
- Measure, develop and optimize quality of team outputs and performance.
- Build test scripts from various sources including functional specifications, technical specifications and sessions with developers and designers
- Review requirements, specifications, user documentation, help files, and other project documentation to assure the quality of the products and tests to be developed; i.e., perform manual static testing.
- Select and develop appropriate test automation tools, applying the latest techniques in test
- automation; e.g., data-driven testing.
- Use risk-driven techniques to develop, maintain, and execute automated test suites for various Software Cafeteria products; i.e., perform automated dynamic testing.
- Execute automated tests and validate the results.
- Work with the Development team to capture and reuse automated Unit Test Cases, Test Stubs and Drivers, and other Development test objects.
- Work with the Development team to create and maintain an automated nightly build verification (“smoke”) test.
- Ensure proper version control and configuration management of all test objects developed and test environments used.
- To facilitate in-house performance testing ensuring that all key infrastructure, data requirements are met as well as establishing the best tools for the j
- Identify key components of the system that are suitable for automation and implement an approach to deliver benefits through automation
- Experience with Continuous Integration tool (Jenkins, TeamCity, etc.) Experience with GitLab to implement for the CI/CD pipeline Experience with containerization tools
Results Tracking and Reporting
- Monitor defects raised by the team and challenge their prioritization supporting to resolution.
- Manage all issues that impact the team’s ability to complete testing activities on schedule
- Create and maintain manual test repositories and regression test packs with a view of constant optimization to improve test estimates
- Create, maintain, and manage test-related documentation
Management and Supervisory
- Provide the QA Manager with accurate and precise estimates for assigned task duration, along with confidence levels and foreseeable dependencies.
- Assist the QA Manager in preparing test plans, budgets, and schedules.
- Take responsibility to ensure all solutions delivered to meet the highest quality standards
- Provide the QA Manager with performance assessments for assigned junior personnel.
- Participate in tester interviews, including administering interviews for QA Engineers and Test Automation Engineers.
Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant work experience in development and/or testing roles.
- Understanding of agile software development Understanding of web service integration (e.g.: REST and SOAP XML).
- NoSQL Familiarity with software packing tools (.exe, .deb, .rpm, Docker…)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good development/scripting skills in common languages like JAVA, Kotlin, Python, Ruby etc.
- Database skills, mainly in MySQL
- Good understanding of object-oriented programming, J2EE architecture, .NET, etc.
- Knowledge of automated testing tools, like LoadRunner, HP ALM 11, Rational Robot, Selenium, Appium etc.
- Experienced in Manual Testing at levels of Unit & System covering Functional tests
- Have strong SQL skills and be able to confidently test batch processes
- This role has some aspect of project management. The candidate will need to have strong soft skills to communicate and work well with several cross-functional teams in fulfilling the business requirements.
- Detail-oriented – simply put, the devil is in the details.
- Decision-making – succeeding in this role requires both a can-do and risk-taking attitude. With this in mind, it pays to sit back and evaluate the constraints and take a call using good judgment and rigorous planning.
- Project manager – work planning, status review, risk analysis, feasibility analysis.
- Technology Delivery Manager – status review, technical review, planning, design.
- Information security team – vulnerability analysis and patching.
- Infrastructure team – provisioning and capacity planning.
- Other software engineers.
- Support engineers – training, support.
Hiring will be done on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Full time permanent